Wednesday, May 16, 2012

The National Art Museum looks like a typical museum with many sculptures, paintings, and ceramics.  The museum holds many Buddhist statues and it has many video clips and English captions delineating the arts.  Without the captions, I would not be able to understand the rich meaning and value of each art piece.  Of all the sections in the museum, I especially enjoyed the pottery and the Buddhist statues sections.  The pottery pieces were so beautiful!  They looked so simple yet so elegant; I wished I could have some of the pieces at home.  As for the Buddhist statues, it was interesting to examine different Buddhas and to learn what each one specializes in (e.g. medicine, rain, enlightenment, etc.).  Besides these two sections, there were many other areas in the museum that is attractive to visitors, such as the history of Korea, the ancient Korean weapons and tools, as well as the gift shops.  Visitors could enjoy the wide variety of arts and could even purchase some creative gift items.  But ultimately, visitors, as myself, could experience the interrelation between art and culture.  Art and culture cannot exist without each other--they enhanced one another.  Understanding the culture helped me see the aesthetic of the art and seeing the art enhanced my appreciation for the culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment